How to Repair a Roof Leak
A leak in a home’s roof can be a major health and safety concern, and, if not addressed right away, can cause all kinds of interior issues. If you’ve noticed a leak in your roof, it’s best to call in the roof repair professionals at RoofRX, as roof leak repairs are highly complicated and often hazardous. The roof repair expert who we’ll send to your home will follow these basic steps to fix the leak:
1. Locate the Source of the Leak
First, the roof repairperson will find the source of the leak by following the trail of ceiling stains, mold growth, warped materials, and other signs of water damage. Common sources for leaks include roof vents, which provide ventilation to your attic, as well as flashing elements. Following a major weather event, leaks could be the result of damaged shingles.
2. Remove Damaged Pieces
Once the roof technician has found the leak’s source, they’ll remove the damaged elements using a pry bar and other tools. They may have to remove:
- Shingles – It may be necessary to tear off shingles to access the damaged part of the roof.
- Roof vents – If a roof vent is the culprit of the leak, it’ll have to be taken off.
- Roofing paper – They may also have to cut away sections of the roofing paper, which separates the shingles from the roof deck.
- Roof deck sections – If the roof deck has been damaged, pieces of it will have to be cut away and removed, as well.
3. Replace Damaged Pieces
Then, they’ll be able to replace the damaged sections and materials, which may include roof deck patches, roofing paper, rows of shingles, and vents.
Contact RoofRX to Learn More
In most cases, roof leaks are too complicated to fix on your own. If you need a roof repair professional to inspect and repair a roof leak at your home, contact RoofRX—we’re the doctors on the roof, ready to diagnose and treat any roof-related concerns.